Business is organic and dynamic. Always changing, shifting and moving. Two quarters have past and half of 2012 is gone and no matter how spectacular or dismal the year has been now is the time to rejuvenate. Why bother you ask? Well, take it from a reformed workaholic, I am more effective, productive and valuable when I take a day to refresh instead of staying buried under piles of work. Believe me, the work will still be there tomorrow.
- Clear your calendar. The competition will keep nipping at our heels. The economy will continue to fluctuate. Clients will lose interest. Partners will depart. Time continues and flies by. The fact is, we cannot control our competitors, the economy, partners, or clients. Nor can we control time – the clock will continue to tick, the sun will rise and set. Work and life goes on and we have totally missed the joy of it all. Treat yourself to whatever gives you new energy and new ideas just for one day.
- Go on an adventure.All to often, we slog through work just to get it done. Slogging doesn’t really generate quality work. It’s rote and dull, leaving us and everyone around us less than inspired too. You don’t have to leave town. It’s amazing how much there is to discover in your community if you just decide to explore. Markets, art galleries, corner pubs, parks abound. It’s amazing to Learn the local culture, art and resources right in your own back yard.
- Visit a play ground. Kids are wonderful to watch. Find a bench and enjoy the laughter and screams of joy. Children are so limitless and courageous. Just watching them communicate, interact, compete and share is so much fun. They don’t worry about dirt, heat, or even time. They are so in the moment. They don’t concern themselves with the next deal, the next crisis, the next challenge. They are just in the moment. Better yet, join in if you can.
- Take a walk in nature. Trees and flowers abound this time of year. Notice the vibrant colors. Appreciate how plants and scrubs reside in close proximity. If you can find a stream, lake or the beach that’s terrific too. All the tides of the ocean to put you back into the rhythm of life. There is no competition or fighting and beauty abounds.
- Play music. Rock and roll. opera, rap, country, jazz. Play it loud or soft. Allow the music to wash over you. Turn off phones and move away from computers, unless they are your source of music. I find that music works great to help me refocus and recharge. Keeping ipods and cd’s handy are great energizers even for short breaks and car trips.
- Listen to audio books.If you normally listen to audio books for work or self improvement. Put them away. Pick up a mystery, murder, sci fi, romance, comedy, historical fiction. Books are wonderful detractors, taking you places that you might have only dreamed about. I always travel with audio books, the trip is amazing and provides a brief respite from business conversations. Safer too.
- Plant a garden. At the very least visit a nursery, green house or market and pick out one plant. Notice their leaves, flowers, scents and textures. Plants are so great and once you carry one back to your office or company, they will become a friend for life. They filter our air, love us unconditionally and only ask for water and gentle handling. And, they serve as a great reminder for the time you took for yourself – that break so needed – that one cannot help but smile.
Seven suggestions, low cost, huge value. You are so worth the time you invest in a refreshing your business day. For those who might struggle with full days, consider starting with an hour, that’s what I do and it makes all the difference in the value that I can add to my work and my life. Enjoy and be refreshed!