Why do we wait for the New Year for something NEW to take on significance? For me, there is a particular significance to NEW. Brainyquote.com describes the word new as
“Having existed, or having been made, but a short time; having originated, discovered or occurred lately; having recently come into existence, or into one’s possession; not early or long in being; of late origin; recent; fresh; modern; — opposed to old, as, a new coat; a new house; a new book; a new fashion.“
If change our point of view, the Power of New happens everywhere. A clock ticks and a minute is born – that presents a new opportunity to start again. A plan fails – that presents the option to find new approaches. A relationship is struggling – that gives people the chance to start anew, restore or move on.
All too frequently I hear in conversations, I am sure I have even said it myself. This is stale, stagnant or boring, when in reality, it has been the perception, not the reality. Let’s try for today to take on the Power of New.
One might ask, “How do we take on the Power of New.“
Here on some suggestions:
- Rise early and enjoy a new sunrise – if it’s cloudy, know that there is a sunrise somewhere in the world starting a new day.
- Review your job and compare to your job description – I’ll bet you will find at least one new significant role that you have taken on that can be added (don’t just lump it in the “other” line – make it a distinctly new addition).
- Discover a new route to work – I’ve had struggling business owners tell me that when they have taken a new route they often are led to a solution to one of their problems.
- Change your approach – even the most repetitious tasks have some element of the new in them – you can change what you are wearing, the hand that you write with, the tools that you use. No one else has to know and you will be surprised how different one thinks when something new is added.
- Ask someone you know, what is new in their lives. If they say nothing, ask them if they have met anyone new, read any new books, learned any interesting new facts. It’s amazing how people open up.
These are just a few tips to help you discover the Power of New.