One of the biggest attractors or detractors for success in business and is our level of awareness. To offer some insight into how to create a backdrop for increasing our awareness, I would like to share some insights from one of the most renowned humanistic psychologists of all times, Dr. Abraham Maslow. As a humanist psychologist , he believed that a person who heightens their awareness become “fully functioning,” “healthy,” and “self-actualizing.” These three attributes are essential to success in life and business.
- Be authentic. Be genuine and transparent in communication and behaviors in a way that people fully understand. Saying one thing and doing another, leads to confusion and chaos.
- Transcend cultural conditioning. Become world citizens. Move outside of your comfort zone. Appreciate and learn from all cultures, rather than being trapped by one.
- Discover your calling, fate or destiny. Assess your talents, your passions and your interests. Take assessments that increase your understanding of your behaviors (DISC), , motivators (Values Index) and patterns of thinking (Attribute Index). Diagnostics can and will help to discover what is important and appropriate to pursue in life and business.
- Know that life is precious, that there is joy to be experienced in life. People want and need to be happy and full of hope. Even in tough situations, finding the pleasure and promise of growth and contribution often makes the job much more pleasurable and rewarding.
- Accept others as they are and help them to learn their inner nature. From real knowledge of aptitudes and limitations you can know what to build upon; what potentials are really available for you. The same with people. Not all partners, employees, clients work out. Accept them where they are. Offer guidance if asked or required. Provide assistance to exit a situation that doesn’t fit style, capabilities or interests.
- See that basic needs are satisfied. This includes safety, sense of belonging and esteem needs. When we are aware that we have basic needs, we can appreciate that one hundred percent of the population has the same basic needs. When these needs are met obstacles become opportunities and conflict becomes collaboration.
- Refresh consciousness. Appreciate that every situation has some good, some bad and even some ugly going on. Reviewing conversations and critiquing business processes helps raise awareness of important issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Controls are good. It takes control to improve the quality and balance of and in business and life. Setting benchmarks and matrix help to give focus and direction.
- Transcend the trifling problems and grapple with the serious problems in life. These include the problems of injustice, pain, suffering, and death. I once knew a nurse turned interior designer who often said to her clients, “Let’s keep this decision in perspective. Hanging curtains in not life or death. Deciding when to pull the plug, now, that’s life or death.“
- Be good choosers. You must practice to learn to make more powerful and positive choices. The key word here is practice. Test your choices. Run your decisions by valued and trusted mentors, colleagues or friends . Generate congratulations and rewards for success. Evaluate the losses, make changes and move on.
Ten great ways to raise your awareness from Dr. Maslow to help lead your business and life to success.
Source: Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs from Psychology – The Search for Understanding by Janet A. Simons, Donald B. Irwin and Beverly A. Drinnien