Today, the emphasis seems to be on disease. Disease in a person. Disease in a business. It seems that everywhere we go there is an emphasis on disease. This macabre approach has caused me to invest perhaps a life time of study in attempting to understand what quite frankly makes very little sense to me. My personal preference has always been to emphasis health, to seek opportunities and growth.
As a starting point, let’s look at some definitions of disease:
- A disorder of structure or function that affects the condition of a human, living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that results in impaired normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms that affects a major system or function.
- A particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people.
- A harmful development.
In my opinion, these definitions can apply to a human or a business equally as well. While it is extremely important to pay attention to issues, challenges, pathogens that can and do cause a great deal of harm and distruction; it is becoming so prevalent that most of the dollars in healthcare and business are being spent on repairing disease because it has reared it ugly head so largely that a person or business can barely function let alone survive.
We fight disease to stay alive.However, in fighting disease, we are failing our health.
Now let’s look at some definitions of health:
- The overall condition of an organism at a given time.
- Soundness, especially of a body, mind or business.
- Freedom from disease or abnormality.
- The optimal level of functioning.
As with disease, these definitions for health can apply equally as well to humans and businesses. The last definition for health is my personal favorite. What person or business doesn’t want to “function at their optimal level“?
Unfortunately, when we focus too much on disease, we will always, always get not enough health. Why not shift our focus to health and see if that doesn’t help to control the disease more effectively.
I would love to hear your thoughts.